Pages

My memories with a most enjoyable singer/songwriter. Including photos from concerts, stories and close encounters of the 3rd kind such as personal time spent with Shawn.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

My Evening with Shawn Phillips in 1990

Here is a trip back in time, back to december of 1990, wish I remembered the actual day this concert took place on but I do not know this. It was a concert to introduce his newest album titled “Beyond Here Be Dragons” My brother and I went to this concert at the Fine Line Music Cafe here in Minneapolis, MN and I was as anxiouse as a little school boy waiting to see this awesome singer/songwriter for the first time in my life, I started listening to Shawn’s music in 1970 when he came out with Collaboration, Contribution, Second Contribution. Love his style, his music, but it was such a fantastic treat to watch him up close and personnal at the fine Line that night, got to talk to him for a few minutes and get his autograph. What I found truly amazing was the crowd new his songs so well that when Shawn sang a song that had a pause in it, the crowd was silent, anticipating that next note, that was truly awesome.
The little stage was just a few inches higher than the rest of the floor, the back of the stage had this egg carton shaped grey foam on the wall for acoustics. The bar was on the left after you entered the place and there was even a balcony you could sit at to watch him from. Shawn had his mac sitting on a table like now with his electronic equipment and an electric piano.
This is the song list from that concert
Steel Eyes
Discoveries
Not Just A Pretty Face
Lost And Lonely
Ballad Of Casey Deiss
The Power Of A Woman
Most Of Us Don’t Understand At All
Moments
Hey Miss Lonely
Woman


I will never forget this concert and I thank you Shawn for your musical enlightenment then, now and into the future.

His final words that night were and I quote:
“God Bless you, I wish you health, love and clarity, youv’e been a most fantastic audience and you know I love you very much, thank you, God Bless you!”

What a beautiful person he is and always will be.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't forget, he also did "The Peace Song". I have the complete Video of that night, and it's still in crystal clear condition.

Acoustic Phases said...

WOW, how would you feel about sending that to me so I can upload it to his OFFICIAL youtube site?

Thanks for letting mem know
Thanks for stopping by to read my blog. :-)

Acoustic Phases said...

Hi Ray, remember you said you have the complete video, can I ask that you send that to me via drop box ot com so I can upload it to shawns official youtube site, I put that together with the permission from Arlo Hennigs. I know him and Shawn personally and I think it would be a fantastic addition to his youtube site, PLEASE....:-D

Shawn Phillips at the Dakota Bar in 2010

Shawn Phillips at the Dakota Bar in 2010
Photo courtesy of Bryan Aaker